US air strike in Afghanistan to tackle Taliban news: The Pentagon stated Thursday that the US recently conducted out air attacks in support of the Afghan army’s efforts to resist a Taliban onslaught, with the departure of foreign soldiers from the country nearly complete.
“We have intervened through airstrikes to help the ANDSF in the previous several days,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said, referring to Afghan government troops.
“We continue to… execute airstrikes in support of the ANDSF,” he told reporters at a news conference, adding that the strike had been authorized by US Army Central Command (Centcom) chief General Kenneth McKenzie.
Kirby said he couldn’t comment on the air strikes, but he echoed Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s remark on Wednesday that the US is “committed to supporting the Afghan security forces and the Afghan government moving ahead.”
Many fear that the withdrawal of international soldiers would undermine Afghan forces’ tactical advantage against the Taliban, despite the fact that Afghanistan’s own nascent air force is flying into the breach.
Taliban government control nearly half of Afghanistan almost 400 districts
On Wednesday, General Mark Milley, the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, stated that the Taliban government currently controls nearly half of Afghanistan’s 400 districts, but that they had not captured any of the country’s heavily populated key cities.
He said that the US pullout, which was supposed to be completed by August 31, is already 95% complete.
Since May, when American-led foreign forces withdrew, resurgent militants have launched a massive attack on government forces.
On Thursday, a Taliban spokesperson informed Russian media that the organisation now controls 90% of Afghanistan’s borders, however this assertion could not be independently verified. Terrorists are renowned for exaggerating their claims on the battlefield.